Wednesday, 27 October 2010

New project!

Hello!

Just realised I've been AWOL for a week so I thought I'd just do a quick post. I randomly decided last week that I really wanted to make little one a patchwork quilt. The one below is one I made in about 2002 and I gave it to my eldest. It's lovely and heavy. It used to go on our bed but to be honest I prefer it on her single as there's lots draped either side and she says it's beautiful, awwww. I would apologise for the cluttered bedside table but hey, she's five and this is a real home so I won't!!!



So anyway I used to money left over after selling some things on ebay and paying the extortionate fees (*grumble grumble*) to buy some ready made 4" fabric squares. Last time I seemed to spend forever cutting out squares so this time I'm cheating! Well, I do have the excuse of two children this time round... and accuracy is not my strong point.


I know some will probably want to lynch me for the choice of fabrics here. Yes, they are mostly Cath Kidston but having worked with her fabrics so much in the past I have to say you can't fault the quality. Plus they're easy to match together ;) There are a few Laura Ashley "Stocks" dotted about and I have various different designs and maunfacturers on the way too. I've gone for pinks, greens and blues with the odd dash of red as littlie's room has green walls and a rose pink iron bed. I'm aiming to make the quilt a generous size like her sister's so that it's useful when she's older too.


Here's part of the first "strip" I've made (it's folded in half in case you were worried it would be tiny!). It was brilliant just to sew together in front of the TV last night. When it comes to sewing all the strips together at the end I may sweet talk Mum into doing it by machine as that's the part that will take so long, but we'll see. Making something for yourself when there's no rush has to be the most relaxing way of sewing.

Hope life is treating you all well. As those of you who are Facebook friends with me will know, school holidays are definitely not my favourite time so I am a wee bit stressed out! Take care, love Mel xxx

19 comments:

MelMel said...

Hi FB buddy!
oohh...loving the new quilt!
The Provence rose fabric is very cute, happy making!
Soon be back to school...xxxx

a mermaids purse said...

lovely patchwork quilt in the making- beautiful fabrics!!
Yes! i agree to sew at your own time limit is the best way and more rewarding...i have a yellow patchwork quilt im working on, well since the summer and it is for my daughter- as she has a big bed now...i just need to find some more vintagey yellow fabrics in the charity and market...;0)x

Poppy said...

I can’t say I have noticed that on FB! ;0) It really is lovely, I wish I could make one! I did start one but never finished it, story of my life.

Love Lou xxx

Vintage Tea Time said...

That quilt's going to be really pretty - looking good already! Don't let 1/2 term get you down (said she, already dreading tomorrow, taking 4 grandsons swimming!!) :)

Mary Poppins said...

Looking beautiful, well done you, and what beautiful choices too, I am not a fan of the cutting out too ;0) May I ask does it work out very expensive to buy the sqaures and how many did you have to buy. I adore the one you made before, soooooooooooo pretty :0)

((((())))) for the holidays, count to ten.... ;0

XX

bellaboo said...

Ooh,lovely!.. those fabrics are gorgeous and I can't wait to see the finished quilt. :o)

topchelseagirl said...

Lovely fabrics and the previous one you made is gorgeous!

Pink Milk said...

Your quilts are just beautiful. I am about to embark on my very first patchwork project and I daresay I shall get into the odd pickle or two!

Know what you mean about eBay - what with their fees AND Paypal's, there doesn't seem to be much left over.

Hx

LittleGem said...

Hi Mel,
Thanks for the comment, I have been AWOL for even longer than you, just need to get back into it, but its always hard once you have a break to jump back in!
Patchwork looks gorgeous, and I love the mix of fabrics, but I am a pretty floral fan myself!
xx

charl said...

oo its going to be gorgeous.. the fabrics you've picked are lovely and all work really well together..
i feel the need to make another patchwork quilt.. but im going to have to start building up the samples as i just couldnt be bothered cutting up fabric!!!
cant wait to see the finished result!!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Love that mix of fabrics, where did you get them from? Such a lovely thing to make for your little ones.

Claire@AreWeNearlyThereYet said...

Such loveiness! I love the idea that you're going to make it BIG so she can use it when she's older too...x

Rebecca said...

ooh what lovely fabric and such pretty colours! Looks like a project that will keep you busy for a while, can't wait to see it finished! x

Dana said...

Oooo yummy fabrics- I love the quilt in the first pic although is it a quilted blanket rather then a a quilt as it looks so snuggly? I cant make out if its quilted through to the back. I dont blame you for buying pre cut fabric, infact its a great idea, having two cheebies myself I can relate to how time consuming the cutting part is. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. x

Cindy said...

What a sweet little quilt you are making. Those fabrics are so lovely, I haven't seen those in Canada, I so wish we could find your fabrics over here.
Hugs, Cindy

Josie-Mary said...

It's going to be lovely :) x

Sheila said...

How pretty, it will be fab when done, its so lovely, i wish i could be more like you...im just no good at these things!

Jemm said...

So beautiful. I love the colors. I wish I could get my creative juices flowing too!

Thecraftytrundler said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!! Love those fabrics : )
Love the quilt you've made already, and so pleased to see you are making another!!!
I would definitely take up the offer of getting it machined together, they grow so quickly!!
If you need any more squares, let me know, and I'd be pleased to send you some.

Sharon xx